The Office of Budget & Finance provides financial support services to the Tribal Government of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. This includes approximately 180 tribal programs providing services to members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the Cherokee community. The Office of Budget & Finance is committed to providing resources, collaboration, partnerships and services to benefit and protect the future of the Tribe and its members.
News from the Office of Budget & Finance
Reporting Tribal (per capita) distributions on your 2013 tax return (added 2/4/2014)
If you are a member of a federally recognized tribe, you may receive taxable distributions from your tribe. The tribe must report these distributions to the IRS and to you on Form 1099-MISC.
If you are expecting a refund, make sure you correctly prepare your 2013 federal tax return to avoid a delay. Make sure you include information from your Form 1099-MISC.
Follow these instructions when filing your 2013 federal income tax return:
- Use Form 1040; not Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ.
- Enter tribal distributions from Form 1099-MISC, Box 3 on Line 21, Form 1040.
- Include a description of the income in the space provided on Line 21.
- Use the correct description to make sure your tax return goes through processing without delays. For paper or e-file returns, please enter one of the following descriptions on Line 21:
- INDIAN GAMING PROCEEDS
- INDIAN TRIBAL DISTRIB
- NATIVE AMERICAN DISTRIB
- Spell the descriptions exactly as listed above. For example, if you spell out DISTRIBUTION rather than using DISTRIB, the IRS may reject your return and delay your refund.
If you receive a notice, which would delay your refund, respond to it in a timely manner. Do not ignore it.
Finance Internship (added 2/4/2014)
The Office of Budget & Finance has an intern position available. To be eligible for the internship you must be an enrolled member of the EBCI and enrolled in a degree program (associates, undergraduate, or graduate) preferably in a finance related field (accounting, finance, business, etc.). The internship is for up 520 hours, working full-time or part-time to accommodate class schedules, and is compensated at an hourly rate. For more information about the internship, please click here Finance Intern Program Guide or call 828.497.7031. Applications are available online or in person at the Finance Office. Deadline to apply is Friday February 28,2014.